[Web4lib] ALA Connect: Not Just Another Social Network

McKiernan, Gerard [LIB] gerrymck at iastate.edu
Tue Apr 7 15:15:34 EDT 2009

Colleagues/

It's Here /  It's Here / It's Here > ALA Connect

/Gerry

ALA Connect: Not Just Another Social Network

It's like Facebook-but for librarians," we've said, all-too-simply (and
inaccurately) in categorizing ALA Connect, ALA's new centralized virtual
space.

That's a facile comparison to make, but really Connect is more than
that. Not just another social network, ALA Connect will help members
engage in ALA business and network with others. It's a single virtual
location in which ALA members can collaborate and work on division,
round table, and committee projects with an impressive spread of tools:
blog-like posts, online documents, group calendars, surveys and polls,
chat rooms, discussion forums, and RSS/email alerts to track progress.

[snip] But ALA Connect effectively reins in all the would-be unofficial
online channels and tools and puts them under one roof, officiating them
under the ALA brand. [snip]

ALA Connect FAQ

ALA Connect replaces the existing Online Communities service that ALA
currently offers as a virtual, collaborative, workspace online. [snip]

[snip]

Every active ALA group already has a space in Connect automatically,
because we've pre-populated it with data from our membership database
(iMIS), and we synchronize member data nightly, so we'll always know
which committees you're on and which other official ALA groups you're
part of.

Both ALA groups and communities use the same types of tools. By default,
each one has blog posts, online documents (like wiki pages), a calendar,
polls, a chat room, a discussion board, and images (logos, pictures,
etc.). The group can use whichever of the tools it finds valuable.

Non-members will be able to register in Connect to create a free
account, but they will only be able to view and add to public content.
[snip]

>>More And Links>>

[ http://tinyurl.com/dzqfq7  ]

Enjoy !

/Gerry

Gerry McKiernan

Associate Professor

Science and Technology Librarian

Iowa State University Library

Ames IA 50011

gerrymck at iastate.edu

There is Nothing More Powerful Than An Idea Whose Time Has Come / Victor
Hugo

[ http://www.blogger.com/profile/09093368136660604490  ]

Iowa: Where the Tall Corn Flows and the (North)West Wind Blows

 [ http://alternativeenergyblogs.blogspot.com/  ]