[Web4lib] RE: [Publib] re: database marketing

Robert L. Balliot rballiot at oceanstatelibrarian.com
Mon Sep 29 06:56:36 EDT 2008

Howdy Sara,

Pooling money to make purchases is not the same thing
as marketing. It merely brings down cost and facilitates
supply. It may help to show how low cost per search is
for 483,000 patrons - especially if 90% of them perceive
little or no value from the service.  But, it does not
increase demand.

'We have all pooled our money to manufacture mule harnesses
and our cost per mule harness is only a third of what
it would have been. We are practically giving them away!'

'But, I ride a horse, so does everyone I know.'

Marketing facilitates demand and good marketing increases
the perceived value of the services.

Robert L. Balliot
Skype: RBalliot
Bristol, Rhode Island