[Web4lib] Multiple Languages for IE7

Andrew Cunningham andrewc at vicnet.net.au
Tue Sep 23 18:49:27 EDT 2008

Thomas Edelblute wrote:

> I received a request to have the Chinese and Japanese language character
> sets installed on all the Internet computers (I am managing 500 devices
> across seven locations through the City).  So far I have not found any
> plug ins on the Microsoft web site to make this happen.  I am assuming
> there has to be something since Microsoft is an International company,
> but where?  Has anybody used an MSI file to push out something like
> this?  Does anybody on this group even support such a thing?

Chinese and Japnese are nice simple languages to work with.

Simple answer: in your operating system.

Slightly more complex answer:

For Vista: its all there by default. Just need to enable the IMEs if you
want to type. Font and language support will always be there.

Just run the command:
                 control.exe input.dll

For Windows XP:

1) install East Asian languages collection. Run the command:

               control.exe intl.cpl,,1

In the /Supplemental Language/ support section, select Install files for
East Asian languages

(This will supply support for Simplified Chinese, Traditional Chinese ,
Japanese and Korean)

2) install appropriate IMEs as required for typing.

Run the command:
                 control.exe input.dll

3) For HKSCS and GB18030 support you'll probably have to download
appropriate support from Microsoft

will need to double check the URLs for these.

N.B. language collections have ot be installed form an acocunt in the
administrator group

IMEs and keyboards have to be installed per user.

I'm in the process of updating my training manuals, otherwise I'd just
email the manual to you.

Also might be worth installing the Japanese and Chinese language packs
for Acrobat Reader while you're at it.

Rather than using the run command, you can just go through the control
panel, but quicker typing this email using the control.exe commands.

Andrew

--
Andrew Cunningham
Vicnet Research and Development Coordinator

Ph: +61-3-8664-7430
Fax: +61-3-9639-2175

Email: andrewc at vicnet.net.au
Alt email: lang.support at gmail.com