[Web4lib] Stephen Abram: Evolution to Revolution to Chaos?Reference in Transition

Sandinista.6613943 at bloglines.com Sandinista.6613943 at bloglines.com
Tue Sep 16 11:24:12 EDT 2008

Amen to Holly's comments. We are now on Symphony, and both the OPAC and staff
client are riddled with bugs and usability problems. This system is not meeting
anyone's needs.

As far as I'm concerned, Stephen Abram will not have much
credibility until he stops collecting a paycheck from SirsiDynix.

Sandra

---------------
Classification:  UNCLASSIFIED
Caveats: NONE

What I
found ironic is that he is with Sirsi/Dynix, and has the gall to
state
"For
instance, the OPAC and ILS systems don't suck for library workers. They were
built to meet our specific needs - library management, transaction processing,
inventory systems, etc."

So, Sirsi/Dynix systems don't suck for library
workers? Could have fooled me. We're on Horizon, an extremely buggy platform,
and they apparently have no desire to fix their product (that we're paying
big bucks for), in order to force us to go the 'new' Symphony, based on 20
year old Unicorn code. And their OPAC is unusable for anyone, at least the
version we have.

And those copyrighted catalogs? Isn't it the ILS vendors
who own the copyrights to their software? And OCLC? The corporation  that
claims copyright on the data that WE provide? The corporation who is licensing
this data to other corporations, and not returning any of the moola to the
data providers? The corporation who decided that quality control of the Worldcat
database wasn't really important?

I get so tired of corporate bs.

Holly
Hill
holly.k.hill at us.army.mil
Barr Memorial Library; Directorate of Family,
Morale, Welfare, and
Recreation
Fort Knox, KY     502-624-5351

-----Original