[Web4lib] Re: anti-virus freeware

Stacy Pober stacy.pober at manhattan.edu
Mon Sep 8 23:46:05 EDT 2008

Someone wrote:
> I've been using Avast for the past year and it's working really well.  I even installed it on our computers in the library.

Just FYI,  Avast is NOT free for institutional use, and that includes
educational, non-profit institutions.

I use it at home and like it a lot, but the download page makes it
abundantly clear that the free version is for home use only:

"This edition is FREE OF CHARGE for non-commercial & home use only.
Both of these conditions should be met! If you are not a home user or
if you use your computer for business purposes, we offer a wide range
of more suitable products providing higher data security, starting
with avast! Professional Edition."
[From: <http://www.avast.com/eng/avast_4_home.html>  ]

I figure that if they're kind enough to give it free to home users, we
can be nice enough to purchase it if we want to use it in our
libraries.  And it is pretty clear that's their intent.

If there is another version of Avast that is free for libraries or
educational institutions, please post a link to the download site.  I
rather prefer Avast to the antivirus program our college has on a site
license.

--
Stacy Pober
Information Alchemist