[Web4lib] Using GIS to manage library resources session: call for questions

Cox, Thomas Thomas.Cox at tufts.edu
Mon Sep 8 10:21:06 EDT 2008

Hello All,

Next month I will be presenting a session called 'Library Floorplans
2.0' at Internet Librarian 2008 in Monterey.  The session will address
using GIS to better manage library resources (the session description is
included below).  Since I will have limited time for questions and I
know this is a hot topic, I am trying to anticipate questions attendees
will have in advance.  If anyone is interested, I would greatly
appreciate it if you could tell me what question(s) you would arrive
with were you to attend this session.

Session Description:

Space, and the management of it, is a challenge that besets every
library; however, the more you know about what you have, the better you
can manage it. A geographic information system (GIS) is a configuration
of computer hardware, software, and personnel specifically designed for
the acquisition, maintenance, and use of geographically referenced data.
This session gives an overview of GIS and discusses its relevance to
libraries. It looks at how one library partnered with its technology
department to create a GIS-based spatial information manager for the
library to serve a wide range of applications including facilitating the
analysis and optimization of existing space within the library, serving
as a real-time high-quality map generator, providing access to the
square footage of any room in the library, assisting reference
librarians in their efforts to direct students to resources in the
library, facilitating disaster planning, and more. Cox shows actual
high-quality maps generated by the system and discusses its integration
with Google Earth.

Thanks ever so much and best regards,

Thom W. Cox
Technical Project Manager
Tisch Library
Tufts University

"Every technology has a philosophy which is given
expression in how the technology makes people  use their minds,
in how it codifies the world, and in which of our senses it
amplifies..."

    - Neal Postman