[Web4lib] RE: [lita-l] RE: Google Chrome - Observations

Cloutman, David DCloutman at co.marin.ca.us
Wed Sep 3 16:56:40 EDT 2008

I think there may be issues surrounding the JavaScript implementation.
>From Google's explanation, I extrapolated that the browser does just in
time compilation of JavaScript into bytecode (much like Servlet
containers do with JSP). This may mean that over the long run a piece of
JavaScript will run faster, but when it is initially loaded, it must be
compiled. In the case of Gmail, there may be significant chunks of
JavaScript that must first be converted to bytecode before execution can
take place, which might explain the lag you experienced. I noticed that
when I ran the browser through the Acid 3 test, there was a significant
lag time between the page load and the execution of the scripting. (Over
a minute!) I almost gave up, but it eventually executed.

Of course, all of this is just speculation, based upon what I read in
the Google comic and observed as an end user. I have no inside knowledge
of how the browser actually works, though I'm sure some intrepid C++
programmer is eventually going to read the source code and explain the
internals to the rest of us.

---
David Cloutman <dcloutman at co.marin.ca.us>
Electronic Services Librarian