[Web4lib] Library website design standards

Cloutman, David DCloutman at co.marin.ca.us
Tue Oct 21 15:32:59 EDT 2008

I would hazard to say the answer is definitively, no. I would suggest
reading some of John Kupersmith's writings on the subject.
(http://www.jkup.net/) John work for UC Berkeley and has done some
thinking about the information architecture of library Web sites. At my
library, we are fortunate to have John as a patron, and he was kind
enough us some advice at the beginning of our current redesign project.
I think his thoughts are well worth reading.

Also, I recommend that you read Daniel Krug's "Don't Make me Think". I'd
been doing web development projects for seven years, and I still learned
things from that book. It's not written for libraryland, but I think
most anything in that book crosses over, regardless of what kind of site
you're producing. It's just full of good advice for anyone who does Web
in any capacity.

If there are any actual standards, BTW, I'd love to hear them.

- David

---
David Cloutman <dcloutman at co.marin.ca.us>
Electronic Services Librarian