[Web4lib] If it sounds like a library, it might be...

Ross Singer rossfsinger at gmail.com
Wed Oct 8 11:35:04 EDT 2008

I don't think this will have much of an effect, honestly.  Georgia
Tech also outsources their university bookstore to B&N (with all the
same bells, whistles, fanfare and community bridging crap), but I
would argue it has very little effect on the traffic to the library
itself (possibly from the business school, but not much else).
Shortly after the deal with B&N, the library did a pretty extensive
renovation to the bottom floor.  It has what is basically the only
student computer lab on campus and a large commons area with coffee
shop.  Regardless of how you feel about these sorts of renovations,
the commons areas are generally packed.

I would say the hearts and minds are pretty happy with free stuff (or,
more accurately, "stuff they've already paid for") if it's the
slightest bit accomodating to the hearts and minds it's supposed to be
serving.

-Ross.