[Web4lib] Strengthening Wikipedia with library links

Nick Tomaiuolo bluehat at mail.com
Sun Nov 30 11:40:01 EST 2008

Dear Colleagues,

I am hoping to learn more about librarians’ efforts to strengthen the
content of sites such as Wikipedia. I have read three articles that
provide details about these attempts (Zentall and Cloutier’s “The
Calisphere Wikipedia Project: Lessons Learned,” Lally’s “Using Wikipedia
to Extend Digital Collections,” and Dreanna Belden’s article in Internet
Reference Services Quarterly), and I’m trying identify additional success
stories.

Please consider sharing your story with me (reply directly to me if
appropriate, or share with the list). I’m interested in individual acts
of editing or writing articles as well as sporadic efforts, and large
scale/systematic efforts. I’m also interested in details about problems
that librarians have encountered in trying to do this. I’ve been
successful in adding one link (to the Wikipedia article on Elihu
Burritt), and I’m wondering if other librarians, aside from those named
in the articles above, are also contributing.

Thanks for assisting me.

Nick Tomaiuolo

Reference Department

Elihu Burritt Library