[Web4lib] Campus without library - summing up

Steven E. Patamia, Ph.D. patamia at gmail.com
Thu Nov 20 00:10:35 EST 2008

Alan et al.

    I think what Alan described (an orchard as a representation)
involves rather advanced lesson programming and/or very advanced
course design.  I like it -- but what I was thinking of is creating a
well equipped, albeit virtual, library facility in which participants
activated controls or tools to create "hot" content displays and/or
collaborative (or maybe even just solo) compositional experiences tied
to the library's content database.  In other words, no course or
lesson programming by others would necessarily be required, but some
might be created on the fly as a byproduct and scripts might be
written for subsequent educational purposes that would run in such
environments.

    Be bold in your thinking... the future is coming fast and the
choice is either to make it into what you want or wait for someone
else to impose their ideas of what it should.

     A question: what is the essence of a library -- never mind how
you might exploit the  spare areas inside a physical structure?  Is it
first and foremost an indexed collection of recorded intellectual work
product?  Is the essence something else -- something more abstract,
but intrinsically more powerful and important?  I have some inchoate
ideas of my own, but don't let me prejudice your thinking.

--
Steven E. Patamia, Ph.D., J.D.
Personal Cell: (352) 219-6592