[Web4lib] Campus without library - summing up

Steven E. Patamia, Ph.D. patamia at gmail.com
Wed Nov 19 22:52:57 EST 2008

Hi Alan,

    I wonder if there is more than fortuitous space availability
involved in having libraries become the forum for learning and even
research in a social setting.  In academic settings, the library is a
symbol for many things.  It symbolizes accumulated knowldege.  It
symbolizes the sanctity of knowledge almost as a kind of tabernacle.
It symbolizes the ethos of making knowledge freely available without
regard to the ability to pay (a stretch in many cases since tuition
contributes to the library).  The work areas and places in which
collaboration is encouraged symbolizes the notion that society needs
open collaboration as much as it needs commercialization.  (Somebody
stop me before I get too idealistic here!)

   But seriously, symbols are powerful.  "Going to the library" is a
statement that says, sometimes reluctantly, that you too are a member
of the community of scholars.

    If this is a valid insight, then perhaps the lesson to us all is
that even a virtual library will be enhanced by creating some of the
same capabilities -- especially if they can be tied to the library's
content.

    A challenge renewed:  Imagine a "Second Life" environment
(hopefully even better!) and apply this insight to creating a library
with robust serious content AND a visual/aural space that makes it
more inviting.  Can you imagine how to adapt the normal notions of
study rooms, roaming reference librarians, etc.?  Can you imagine ways
to exploit that virtual environment to produce inspiring experiences
and genuine collaborations?  What can you do in that virtual
environment that you cannot do -- cost effectively -- in real life?

Steven E. Patamia, Ph.D., J.D.
Personal Cell: (352) 219-6592