[Web4lib] Campus without library - summing up

Alan Cockerill alan.cockerill at jcu.edu.au
Wed Nov 19 17:45:35 EST 2008

I'm firmly in Dave's camp.

At a teaching institution the library is more than a book warehouse (or
should be) the physical space has social, teaching, studying and
recreational purposes.

For our students it's a quiet place to study, somewhere to get face to face
help (other service areas are closing their public access desks - often
relying on ours to refer students to the right person), a place conducive to
group work, an exhibition space. Their course tutorials are often held here
as are their exams. They have access to facilities like video editing,
printing and scanning that have to be housed somewhere on campus and it
makes sense to put them in the space that's open the longest hours with
staff willing and able to provide assistance.

And laptops aren't really meant for laps - you need somewhere to rest it and
plug it in.

That said I don't think there's any reason why Steven's virtual library for
geographically dispersed researchers can't work.

We have post grad researchers all over the world who are among our heaviest
users.

Alan Cockerill
Library Technologies Coordinator
James Cook University, Cairns