[Web4lib] Wireless WAN

Bill Hudson bhudson at lancasterlibraries.org
Fri Nov 14 11:28:43 EST 2008

Hi Kevin,
We've had a couple of experiences with wireless WANs and neither of them
were excellent. Passible is more of an apt description. Two different
vendors, two different technologies, but both saw signal degradation during
heavy downpours and snow. Electrical storms played havoc with one in
particular.

If you're vendor is using equipment that works in the licensed spectrum,
like microwave, it is my understanding that this is far more reliable than
the stuff that operates in the unlicensed spectrum.

If you're willing to deal with occasional slow downs and less than optimal
performance, then wireless is ok. But nothing compares to hardwired
connections done right. We've moved to a fiber optic network and it is
heavenly compared to wireless.

Bill

*
Bill Hudson
Deputy Administrator/Manager, Information Technology
Library System of Lancaster County
1866 Colonial Village Lane, Ste. 107
Lancaster, PA  17601
717-207-0500 ext. 1269