[Web4lib] New branch library with cool stuff

SIMINITUS, JACQUELYN E (ATTPB) js8295 at att.com
Fri May 30 12:10:21 EDT 2008

Tina,
Your topic is a fun one.  A year or so ago I started a blog to collect
cool stuff.  It is called "2CoolTools" -- see
http://2CoolTools.blogspot.com

Each year at ALA Conference, LITA has a program on Top 10 Technology
Trends.  That is not exactly what you are asking, but that is good to
check out.

Here are some cool stuff that I've seen:

*	Podcasts, E-books and eAudio books.

*	Virtual Reference.  For example, InfoEyes is a Q & A service for
people with a visual impairment (www.infoeyes.org)

*	IP Video -- streamed and archived video delivered on-demand,
including webcasts, videoconferences, environmental monitoring and
surveillance for preservation of special library archives and
collections.

*	Digital Reference: Instant messaging and desktop videoconference
reference.

*	Videoconferencing: Libraries offer educational programs, guest
lecturers, and electronic field trips.  The equipment is mostly used for
professional development and administrative meetings among branches or
regional consortiums.

*	Library Virtual Tours: Many libraries offer 360 degree virtual
tours.  This allows members of the community to get familiar with the
library before actually visiting for the first time.

I'm particularly interested in specific examples of wireless handheld
devices in libraries.  For Roaming Reference librarians, shelf-checkers,
inventory control, and such.

- Jackie
Jackie Siminitus, MLS
AT&T Library Advocate