[Web4lib] xml workshop

Eric Lease Morgan emorgan at nd.edu
Tue May 20 08:36:56 EDT 2008

[Please excuse the cross-posting.]

I have finished revamping my day-long, hands-on, XML workshop
distribution. It includes a large set of sample data, style sheets,
and scripts (for transforming, indexing, harvesting, & serving) for
downloading:

   XML is about distributing data and information unambiguously.
   Through this hands-on workshop you will learn: 1) what XML is,
   and 2) how it can be used to build library collections and
   faciliate library services in our globally networked environment.

     * An introduction to XML
     * Activity - Beyond MARC
     * Indexes make search easier
     * Activity - Indexing/searching MODS
     * Activity - Writing XML
     * Flavors of XML
     * Activity - Writing XML, redux
     * Activity - Full-text indexes
     * Client/server computing
     * Databases for data storage and maintenance
     * OAI-PMH - a de-centralized OCLC
     * Activity - Being an OAI service provider
     * Activity - Being an OAI data repository
     * Web Services
     * Activity - Creating a "mash-up"
     * Workshop summary
     * External links

   http://infomotions.com/musings/xml-in-libraries/

The distribution is designed to be facilitated by an instructor, but
it could just as well be used as the basis of a self-paced tutorial.

--
Eric Lease Morgan
Head, Digital Access and Information Architecture Department

(574) 631-8604