[Web4lib] Social software for collaborative collection development?

Casey Bisson cbisson at plymouth.edu
Mon Mar 31 14:14:50 EDT 2008

Using some tool like a wiki or Google Doc to gather nominations, then
using a form inside a Google Spreadsheet to vote on or rank those
nominations would solve most of this problem.

What that misses, and it's kind of an interesting library-unique
problem: beyond managing the selection process, is there software that
might help identify holes in the collection. Tim will point out that
some libraries use LibraryThing to help do that with their book
collections, but is there anything to help with videos?

Until then, I'd say Google Spreadsheets is what you need.

--Casey

On Mar 31, 2008, at 1:22 PM, Meredith Farkas wrote:

> I agree with Gillian. I've used both PBWiki and Google Spreadsheets
> for
> similar tasks (group ratings/voting/comments -- though for evaluating
> proposals for a conference) and both platforms worked well for that
> purpose.
> PBWiki would be more flexible (since you can create more than just
> tables),
> but if you think an online collaborative spreadsheet would be all
> you need,
> Google Spreadsheets works great and you wouldn't have to worry about
> creating a table.
>
> Meredith

Casey Bisson

Information Architect