[Web4lib] Mouse pads

Andrew Mutch amutch at waterford.lib.mi.us
Mon Mar 24 22:35:54 EDT 2008

Judy,

How about investing in optical mice? CDWG sells some basic optical mice for under $15 and you can probably get them even cheaper, especially if you buy them in bulk. It's a small investment to save you the hassle of dealing with cleaning the mice and finding long-lasting mouse pads.

An optical mouse doesn't eliminate gunk getting into the scrollwheel but it does eliminate the problem with having to clean out the mouse ball and related mechanism. Unless you're using them on a glossy surface, you can almost always eliminate the need to use a mouse pad with them. They still collect dirt on the bottom but it's a lot easier to clean the bottom of an optical mouse than cleaning the inside of a standard mouse. When we went to optical mice, we ditched the mouse pads and neither staff or patrons have missed them.

Good luck!

Andrew Mutch
Library Systems Technician
Waterford Township Public Library