[Web4lib] Lists versus Tags design idiom

Walker, David dwalker at calstate.edu
Mon Mar 24 13:15:12 EDT 2008

Hey All,

I have a metasearch application [1] with a 'save record' feature.  Right now, I'm working on giving our users a mechanism to organize those saved records.

I'm leaning towards using a tagging idiom in the interface [2], but have some lingering doubts. I've noticed, for example, that tagging is most often implemented for sites in which the user *generates* the content (e.g., blogs, flickr).  While sites that allow you to search and save records usually employ a list metaphor (e.g., amazon [3], istockphoto).

Anyone have a good example of a (non-library) site that allows you to search and save things, and then *tag* them?

--Dave

[1] http://xerxes.calstate.edu <http://xerxes.calstate.edu>
[2] mock-up: http://walkertr.csusm.edu/download/saved-records.jpg <http://walkertr.csusm.edu/download/saved-records.jpg>
[3] Amazon apparently has a tagging mechanism, too, but it's rather (to me) obscurely implemented.

David Walker
Library Web Services Manager
California State University
http://xerxes.calstate.edu <http://xerxes.calstate.edu>