[Web4lib] Is a new browser window always a no-no?

Thomas Bennett bennetttm at appstate.edu
Wed Mar 19 17:14:12 EDT 2008

As a WEB programmer I see instances where opening in a new window is required
for a link to work.  Case in point, if someone logs in to our university
portal and connects to the library site through the portal then for some
reason links for our online databases don't pass authentication  on the
vendor''s side unless the link is opened in a new window.  I always add a
label in parenthesis beside the link indicating it opens a new window.  I
think it only deals with off campus users, a proxy issue and iframes.

I would also suggest that if you have to open a new window to a page on your
site, add a close window button with a label beside it indicating it is a new
window .

Personally I detest any popups because I like to make my own decisions and not
have to close a hundred windows after visiting a site.  If I want a page to
open in a new window or tab I right click and choose open in new tab in Opera
or Firefox and sometimes choose a new tab in IE depending on which version or
addons are available for IE on that machine for tab support.

Thomas

On Wednesday 19 March 2008 15:07, Rachel Davis wrote:
> Thanks to all who have helped me with the target link attribute question I
> posted earlier.
>
> In the process of learning how to target links to always open in the same
> browser window (naming the new window, instead of using target ="
> _blank"), I am also learning that opening links in a new window is
> considered one of the "top ten mistakes of web design," unless the link is
> to a document or a large image.   I am wondering what the general opinion
> is about book lists that link to catalog records (which is what I'm
> working on.)
>
> Our staff frequently gets requests for books that I read at story time, or
> books that are recommended for reading aloud to groups of young children.
> I am including a page on our site to story time books I have read
> organized by theme, with each title linking to its record in the OPAC.  I
> don't have the ability to edit the OPAC to provide a link back to the
> library webpage.  I know users can always use the back button, but I would
> think it would be more annoying to lose the library site--and the book
> list the user was looking at--than to have a new window pop up showing the
> book's record in the OPAC so it can be requested.
>
> If I click on a book title and find I am now in the OPAC, and then I
> request the book, I have to go through several steps in order to return to
> the library website and the list of books--it's not as simple as just
> hitting the back button once to return to the site.  It would seem
> preferable to engage in the activity of placing a request in a separate
> window so that the original book list is readily available in the original
> window if I want to refer to it, request another title, or go to a
> different page in the library's website.
>
> So, in the case of links to catalog records in book lists like this, do
> others feel a new browser window is justified, or is it better to require
> the user to use the back button in order to return, eventually, to the
> library web page?
>
> Thanks for your advice!
>
> Rachel
>
> Rachel Q. Davis
> Children's Librarian
> Thomas Memorial Library
> 6 Scott Dyer Road
> Cape Elizabeth, ME  04107
> 207-799-1720

Thomas McMillan Grant Bennett		Appalachian State University
Operations & Systems Analyst		P O Box 32026
University Library			Boone, North Carolina 28608
(828) 262 6587

"... using OpenOffice.org, and save them back to disk automatically,
in MS Word format.  They surf the Web, check e-mail, do instant
messsaging, view YouTube videos, visit their Facebook pages, learn
touch-typing skills and lots more.  Our public library has been
offering these Linux public stations for the past three years."
 - Phil Shapiro Linux Journal January 2008

Library Systems Help Desk: https://www.library.appstate.edu/help/