[Web4lib] Patron Authentication

Phillip Whitford PWhitford at Braswell-Library.org
Wed Mar 12 07:51:15 EDT 2008

 Allow me to correct myself: SIP stands for Standard Interchange
Protocol as well as Session Initiation Protocol as I previously stated
but Standard Interchange Protocol is more properly used when referring
to the product used by libraries.

Phillip B. Whitford
Associate Director for Support Services
Braswell Memorial Library
Rocky Mount, NC 27804
Opinions expressed are not necessarily those of my organization.
-----Original Message-----
From: web4lib-bounces at webjunction.org
[mailto:web4lib-bounces at webjunction.org] On Behalf Of Phillip Whitford
Sent: Wednesday, March 12, 2008 7:34 AM
To: web4lib at webjunction.org
Subject: RE: [Web4lib] Patron Authentication

 You may want to investigate using SIP (Session Initiation Protocol). It
is used by many third party programs to validate information from an
ILS. Dynix supports SIPS but I believe it is an add on feature you have
to purchase. NCIP (National Circulation Interchange Protocol) and the
open source OpenNCIP are to eventually replace SIP and also may meet
your need. SirsiDynix also sells an NCIP based product. Info oration on
OpenNCIP can be found at:  http://openncip.org/