[Web4lib] The battle for Wikipedia's soul - The Economist on the future of Wikipedia

Alain D. M. G. Vaillancourt ndgmtlcd at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 10 18:25:39 EDT 2008

This is by far the best article I've read on Wikipedia in several
years.  It touches all the problem spots, perfectly.

I can't agree more with this:

"These rules are used to devise official policies on particular
subjects, such as the notability of pornographic stars (a Playboy
appearance earns you a Wikipedia mention; starring in a low-budget
movie does not) or ..."

These notability "rules" (which are interpreted every which way) are
what stops Wikipedia from reflecting the work of independent artists.
This means artists whose work is directly on the Web as well as off it.
The work of the "deletionists" around the whole topic of web comics is
an extremely visible case for this.  A few years back you had articles
on just about every Web comic existing.  Now the pendulum has swung in
the other direction and it's nearly impossible to put an article on a
Web comic in there.

The sad thing is that the work of the deletionists is not focused in a
general way on maintaining a good level of quality or "notability" on
all types of articles .  It's focused instead on a limited set of
popular topics, or "dangerous" political topics.

Alain Vaillancourt

http://www.economist.com/printedition/displaystory.cfm?story_id=10789354