[Web4lib] "Is Google Making Us Stupid? What the Internet isdoing to our brains"

Frances, Melodie mfrances at gtu.edu
Fri Jun 20 13:59:24 EDT 2008

This is a very interesting thread - I have the same problem too of having trouble concentrating on something - tons of articles all over the place that I feel I should read that I probably never will - I'm wondering though if it's more just the shear amount of information overload rather than the way in which it is presented that is problematic - (in fact aren't there already burblings of the next new greatest thing being a way to deal with this?).

I also still don't really believe that the internet or virtual reality has changed anything fundamentally - we are still these messy organic complicated immature frightened and at times amazingly wonderful embodied creatures - the older I get the more it seems like there ain't NOTHING new under the sun - the tools change which obviously has huge impact but the stuff that runs us still seems to be the same.

As for Elizabeth's question: "I'd be interested to hear if others think a value system exists where one has no need for the skills of "concentration and contemplation" (I'm not being snarky...I'm genuinely interested in this question)." - my first response is no - because someone has to do the concentrated work for any of this internet stuff to run - but there are also a ton of people who do not engage in concentration or contemplation - personally I have never found them to be real interesting and secondly I really don't think you can grow or learn without blood sweat and tears. Kinda goes with the whole messy human thing.

Melodie Morgan Frances

Head of Cataloging

Graduate Theological Union

mfrances at gtu.edu