[Web4lib] "Is Google Making Us Stupid? What the Internet is doing to our brains"

B.G. Sloan bgsloan2 at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 18 19:05:01 EDT 2008

Here's a new article that might be of interest:

Carr, Nicholas. Is Google Making Us Stupid? What the Internet is doing to our brains. The Atlantic, 301(6), July/August 2008.
http://www.theatlantic.com/doc/200807/google

An excerpt:

"For more than a decade now, I’ve been spending a lot of time online, searching and surfing and sometimes adding to the great databases of the Internet. The Web has been a godsend to me as a writer. Research that once required days in the stacks or periodical rooms of libraries can now be done in minutes...what the Net seems to be doing is chipping away my capacity for concentration and contemplation...Once I was a scuba diver in the sea of words. Now I zip along the surface like a guy on a Jet Ski."

Bernie Sloan
Sora Associates