[Web4lib] RE: Information literacy requirments

Smith, Gemma Gemma.Smith at wichita.edu
Wed Jun 18 11:37:07 EDT 2008

Alma,

We do not currently have an information literacy requirement for entering students, but we are trying to form some kind of requirement for all enrolled students (freshmen) and transfer students. We built an information literacy tutorial called EMPOWER (http://library.wichita.edu/empower) that is based on Searchpath and inflite. We recently finished our first pilot study of 22 College English 102 classes that were required to complete the tutorial through Blackboard and take pre and post IL quizzes. In our preliminary study we found that students did much better on the quizzes after completing the tutorial, and some instructors have said that they noticed a marked improvement in the quality of student papers. We hope that eventually this tutorial will be required for all students.

Our university also requires all General Education classes to have some kind of library component as part of the course work, but it is left open to the interpretation of the instructor.

Gemma Blackburn
Library Systems Developer
Wichita State University Libraries
Phone: (316) 978-5104