[Web4lib] Linux Flavor?

Thomas Krichel krichel at openlib.org
Tue Jun 10 03:03:46 EDT 2008

  Bin Zhang writes

> We use Ubuntu Server, and are quite happy with it.  It is very easy to set
> up.

  I administer 11 Linux boxes in my spare time, some of them for many
  years already. All of them are Debian.

  From my experience any hardware that is very recent and/or is rare
  will give you problems with setting up Linux. Therefore, whatever
  distribution you use, it is usually a good idea to avoid the latest
  and greatest hardware, unless the manufacturer offers to put your
  desired Linux distribution on it, or you have a BIOS / hardware
  / kernel wizard at hand.

  Cheers,

  Thomas Krichel                    http://openlib.org/home/krichel
                                RePEc:per:1965-06-05:thomas_krichel
  phone: +7 383 330 6813                       skype: thomaskrichel
  offline: 2008-06-12 to 2008-06-15