[Web4lib] Mere pittance

Craig Parker elcraig at gmail.com
Mon Jun 9 13:09:41 EDT 2008

Hello World of Librarians,

I have a librarian question.  No, it is not about domains; we already
solved that problem(www.deniseandcraig.com).  We used
TotalchoiceHosting.

I am ready, this summer, to begin writing the Great American Novel.  I
have published a book already ("Football's Blackest Hole"), but a
novel is a different beast than a sports book.  My book sold almost
1,500 copies.

I want to write a roman historique about the years 1939-1945; guess
what my subject matter is?  This is my dilemna: I grew up with and
love the Reader's Guide to Periodical Literature.  I went to the
library while we were still in the United States (I now teach high
school algebra in Al-Khobar, Saudi Arabia) and copied off pages and
pages of magazine article titles and reference information around a
vast array of World War II topics.  The question is: how can I get my
hands on these hundreds of articles?

I am in touch with HW Wilson, but I fear that the scourge of time will
negate this effort.  Electronic has just not made it back very far
into the past decades.  My novel will go up through 1979, but
electronic still has not made it back to this mere pittance of the
past.

How can I access the treasure trove of the Reader's Guide, 1939-1945
and 1970-1975?  And ideas that you can offer are appreciated.
Librarians are the frame that brings a painting to life.

Thank you.

Craig Parker
Dhahran High School
Al-Khobar, Saudi Arabia