[Web4lib] remote web work for library staff?

McHale, Nina nina.mchale at cudenver.edu
Tue Jun 3 16:16:51 EDT 2008

Hi, all,

Due to the Democratic National Convention being held here in Denver this
August, our campus and library will be shut down for security purposes,
and we are being asked to find ways to work at home. Since I'm the
webmaster, I'm getting numerous requests about how folks can work on the
library web site at home. I do this all the time myself via our campus
VPN, but I have a laptop that I can take home, and most others do not.

So, my question is, if you are a webmaster type, do you regularly
provide "at home" access for library staff who contribute to your web
site? We currently use Dreamweaver and Contribute, but we don't buy
copies of software for home use, which creates a problem unless someone
is willing to fork over the cash to get their own copy. (A couple of
people are willing, but I'd prefer a friendlier solution, and the
thought of managing more Contribute connections gives me a headache.)
Remote desktop access has been suggested, and that sounds like the best
solution to me. It would also allow folks access to other applications
besides web pages, like cataloging interfaces.

Any other ideas? Any specific remote desktop software/procedure
recommendations?

Nina

Nina McHale, MA/MSLS
Assistant Professor, Web Librarian
Auraria Library
http://library.auraria.edu/~nmchale/
Facebook <http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=672599042>  | MySpace
<http://www.myspace.com/ninermac>

Serving the University of Colorado Denver,
Metropolitan State College of Denver,
and the Community College of Denver

1100 Lawrence Street
Denver, Colorado 80204