[Web4lib] CUIL doesn't seem very COOL

Grace J. Agnew gagnew at rci.rutgers.edu
Mon Jul 28 13:32:34 EDT 2008

I did the same.  At first I really liked the display, but then I noticed
that there were photos attached to a number of citations that were not
photos of me, although the citation was about me.  I visited the pages
to see if the photos were co-located with the pages, such as my Educause
directory profile, and the photos weren't.  I think the image indexing
needs a little work.

Grace

Dan Lester wrote:
>  http://www.reportonbusiness.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20080727.wcuil0728/BNStory/Business/?cid=al_gam_nletter_dtechal
>

>  Has anyone else played with www.cuil.com?   (pronounced like cool)
>
>  Supposedly more pages indexed, better, etc.  Doing a little vanity
>  searching, I searched
>
>  dan lester boise
>
>  and found lots of stuff....well, some....almost all of it from old
>  newsgroup postings from 93 and 94.  Well, I guess that's a rich
>  source of fodder to build stuff up, but hardly exciting or
>  convincing.
>
>  searching for
>
>  barack obama
>
>  produced    "We didn’t find any results for “barack obama”"
>
>  but searching obama as a single word did.
>
>  For my entries there were a bunch of images, all completely
>  irrelevant and nothing that was on any of my pages, or places where I
>  was mentioned.
>
>  Obama's images were, for the most part, relevant.
>
>  Comments, thoughts, experiences?
>
>  dan

Grace Agnew
Associate University Librarian for Digital Library Systems
Library Technical Services Building
47 Davidson Road
Piscataway, NJ 08854-5603

gagnew at rci.rutgers.edu