[Web4lib] YouTube and Bandwith

Kozlowski,Brendon bkozlowski at sals.edu
Fri Jul 25 13:07:42 EDT 2008

We decided to go a different route.  As bandwidth itself is limited (even ISPs are having issues currently with unforeseen bandwidth issues) and information can be found on pretty much any unexpected site...  We decided to use a bandwidth shaping hardware addition to our network.  It's much easier, less maintenance (if any, it isn't really necessary), and doesn't limit the services you're providing to your patrons.

The specific device we went with was a NetEqualizer packet shaper. http://www.netequalizer.com/  There are testimonials on their site from Libraries, schools, and universities if you're interested: http://www.netequalizer.com/test.htm

Brendon Kozlowski
Web Administrator
Saratoga Springs Public Library
49 Henry Street