[Web4lib] YouTube and Bandwith

Andrew Mutch amutch at waterford.lib.mi.us
Fri Jul 25 09:31:12 EDT 2008

Mary,

Whenever people have asked about blocking YouTube, my response has always been "Why?" YouTube is Flash-based video and it is streamed which means it's likely using less bandwidth than other audio and video formats. I think the perception is that since it's video, it must be a bandwidth hog. But if you have bandwidth concerns based on content and delivery, there are other offenders I would look at long before I would try and tackle YouTube.

Andrew Mutch
Library Systems Technician
Waterford Township Public Library
Waterford, MI