[Web4lib] OCLC numbers of Google Books?

Tim Spalding tim at librarything.com
Mon Jul 21 15:52:38 EDT 2008

Robert and I have been going back and forth about this privately, I
think quite misunderstanding each other, so I shall put forth my
understanding, which does not involve SEO.

Google does not release totals or detailed lists of what they have
scanned and what they haven't, or allow bots to collect such
information, because they don't want to people to measure their
progress—to say they've done 10% of Oxford and 60% of Michigan, etc.
This was always rather silly, and since Microsoft stopped trying to
compete, quite so. Nevertheless, it is the explanation provided to me
by the head of the GBS program, take that for what you will.

Tim
LibraryThing

Check out my library at http://www.librarything.com/profile/timspalding