[Web4lib] Build the Open Shelves Classification

Dan Lester dan at riverofdata.com
Wed Jul 16 16:08:39 EDT 2008

> No, I think mostly DDC. DDC is largely used by public libraries. The
> public and academic needs are different. And LCC is already free.

Not defending DDC, but it isn't really expensive either.  And LCC
isn't really free either.  Neither is perfect, nor will any
classification ever be, particularly for all people for all needs.

Reminds me of an old DDC issue in Cataloging 412 some 44 years ago.
In DDC (at least then) in the 640s there were subdivisions for "food
being cooked", which could then be broken up by cooking method, as
well as by "cooking method" which could be subdivided by type of food.

So, which place to put a book on "Best Fried Chicken Recipes"?  And
why?   Write an essay......

dan

--
The road goes on forever and the party never ends. REK, Jr.
Dan Lester, Boise, ID