[Web4lib] Re: Future of libraries

Dan Lester dan at riverofdata.com
Tue Jul 15 14:53:42 EDT 2008

Monday, July 7, 2008, 7:16:56 PM, you wrote:

> **** The things in a library are tools - I agree, however, like any work of
> art - librarians place much of themselves in their libraries so you have to
> give them that they are rather protective of their library and feel that
> comments on their library is a comment on them personally.***************

This is normal human behavior, unfortunately, but we need to learn to
get past it in all aspects of our lives.  Most people these days are
very defensive about any criticism, rather than being able to accept
it in a positive manner and begin to make changes in their lives.

It is also fairly normal to be protective of one's "turf", especially
when it represents the income.  What many/most librarians need to
learn is that if their turf doesn't continue to change in multiple
dimensions, it'll be gone, and there'll be nothing left to protect.
Think of it as living on a sandbar.  You'd better change the sandbar
in some way or it'll be washed away in the ever changing tides.

dan

--
The road goes on forever and the party never ends. REK, Jr.
Dan Lester, Boise, ID