[Web4lib] RE: Open source support models

Peter Noerr pnoerr at MuseGlobal.com
Tue Jul 15 14:50:04 EDT 2008

Hi David,

It's not quite that simple. Paying for two things does not necessarily
cost more than paying for one - it depends on the price, the payment
terms, and what you get for your money.

Also, there are other business models:

Subscription for software or service is one which is fairly popular in
the commercial software (i.e. where you pay for a license) world. In
this model the support and license are bundled into a
monthly/quarterly/yearly fee. This can definitely spread the cost pain.

An "initial pain" point in any model (commercial or OSS) is the payment
for services to get things up and running (a major component of
Caitlin's original and revised post). This assumes you want paid for
service and support as you have to run a service of your own and want
some guarantee (formal SLA or just informal) of time to get help. As a
supplier of commercial software we also make use of OSS and we often end
up fixing and contributing to the code pool because we cannot afford to
wait for the community to fix the problem we have found.

Development services costs often occur as an up-front payment and their
existence is independent of the nature of the software license. In fact
it is easily conceivable that OSS services are more expensive as the
full cost plus profit for the supporting company have to come from those
services. Commercial software suppliers often include an amount of
support time in the "license" fee. Even more if it is a subscription
where support is often "free", and so are software upgrades - admittedly
as long as the subscription is kept current.

There are all sorts of variants and the actual, absolute, cost can only
be determined by asking (and often bargaining with) the various
suppliers of suitable systems and services. And, of course, discounts
and special incentives make your price often very different from the
person sitting next to you.

To really mix the models, throw hosted services in. These do not have
the explicit costs for time or money spent on setting up machines and
operating systems and the like, but still include the "administrative"
time for the customer. They are much easier to get running but,
generally, cost more. However economies of scale can make the extra cost
marginal. Another model to consider...

Peter

Dr Peter Noerr
CTO, MuseGlobal, Inc.