[Web4lib] RE: Open source support models

Cary Gordon listuser at chillco.com
Fri Jul 11 17:37:30 EDT 2008

I think that the service models at Acquia and RedHat are much
different from those at Equinox and LibLime. This biggest difference
is that neither Acquia nor RedHat offer development services beyond
their products and their contributions to their respective products.

For the most part, CMSs and operating systems are consumed either by
sophisticated clientele who implement them directly, consultants who
assist unsophisticated users in implementing them, or vendors who
package them in their own hardware and software packages. Library
system implementation is in my experience a much more organic process,
and in most cases the bulk of the work is either done by the vendor or
by the library under the direction of the vendor. Koha and Evergreen
certainly open up the possibility of more libraries doing more of the
work, but I imagine that in reality, the shift toward this will be
gradual, and for the time being most libraries selecting those
products will be purchasing something similar to what they are getting
from the traditional system vendors.

It is pretty straightforward to scale the Acquia and RedHat busness
models using traditional help desk and engineering systems. Because
Equinox and LibLime are acting more in the role of systems
integrators, they face some bigger challenges in scaling to meet demand.

Cary Gordon, MLS
The Cherry Hill Company
http://www.chillco.com