[Web4lib] RE: Evanced calendar problems?

Swackhamer, Amy ASwack at fredco-md.net
Thu Jul 10 15:18:04 EDT 2008

FYI: I couple of hours after posting to the listserv, I received the following response from one of the Co-Founders of Evanced that explains what is happening to cause interruptions in service for some of their customers and how they are working to resolve it.

Amy,
A couple of our other customers forwarded to me your posting on Web4lib. I was very disappointed to see that you and your library were having problems and in particular frustrated enough to reach out to the listserv to talk to others about it. I've since been talking to our technical staff to find out what might be going on. Here is what I've found out and I hope you'd be willing to post this response Web4lib as well to help us get the word out on what's going on.
The problems you are experiencing are mostly unrelated to V6 or even to Events or Room Reserve. The issues your are seeing are a result of some problems we've been chasing with our Summer Reader system that is used by other libraries residing on the same hosting server that your library's system is on. We aren't sure yet if the problem is in our code or is a problem in the MySQL database code itself but we have all of our technical resources working on the issue. Wherever the problem actually lies, what happens is that when it get's triggered the MySQL processes take 100% of the server resources and everyone on that server is affected regardless of whether they use Summer Reader or not. It isn't affecting all of our hosting servers (though all of them have at least some Summer Reader installations so whatever is causing it is a somewhat unique or rare sequence of settings and or actions).
I hope that we've been very responsive to the issues you've had particularly issues specific to the inevitable bugs that do accompany a new released version. If not I hope you'll share what issues you feel we haven't responded to well.
Thank you for your time and again I would greatly appreciate it if you'd consider posting this response to the listserv for us.
Thanks
Rob Cullin
CSO / Co-Founder
Evanced Solutions

Amy Swackhamer
Virtual Branch Administrator - Frederick County Public Libraries
301-600-3787 / aswack at fredco-md.net