[Web4lib] Open source support models

Karen G. Schneider kgs at esilibrary.com
Wed Jul 9 13:53:24 EDT 2008

Lin Light wrote, "One example is the decision taken place regarding open
source ILS. If your institution has the staffing that is up on and into
open source it is fine. Many libraries will stay with MS products because
at current that is what their IT is schooled in. Yes they can be trained
but we don't pay that much for licensing when compared to training of not
just IT, but other library staff that will provide frontline support."

Just to clarify, there are (at least) three companies now providing
support for open source library software: Equinox for Evergreen, Liblime
for Koha, and Media Flex for OPALS. These follow similar models to
companies outside LibraryLand such as Red Hat for Linux and Acquia for
Drupal, where you pay for support, development, migration, etc., but the
code is free and open.

I realize that this information is just now seeping out into the broader
consciousness of LibraryLand and there is still a perception in some areas
that "open source" means "tightrope with no nets." You certainly CAN
download, install, and maintain OSS library software on your own, but you
don't HAVE to. (There are even hosted models.)