[Web4lib] Re: Future of libraries

Reeder, Norm nreeder at torrnet.com
Tue Jul 8 13:11:09 EDT 2008

I guess I'd phrase things a little differently.  Most of the new technologies that have come about didn't originate uniquely for libraries.  We are just too small a market.  For instance we didn't invent the barcode idea; it was adapted from the larger marketplace.

Joan Frye Williams often remarks that when she looks for new technologies or what is "coming", she doesn't look in our libraries.  She looks at the supermarket or the wider Internet to see what is developing and then thinks "how could we use that".  Stephen Abrams makes similar remarks.  Microsoft is infamous for its "embrace and extend" philosophy (and look how much money they make because of it!).

So I would think that adapting to, and extending the use of new ideas and things is the way to go.  It does take some looking around (and this listserv is one good way to keep abreast of what's going on too).  But just because we didn't invent it, or it wasn't taught in library school doesn't mean it can't be significant or we can't play with it.

I think a lot of libraries are playing with Web 2.0 technologies, but there certainly at this point isn't a "default" or "standard" way to implement the variety of things currently out there.  It's going to take some time and trial balloons to see what is effective or not.

One of the things to watch out for though here is the "greatest thing since sliced bread" thingie that initially gets talked about in all of the magazines; websites etc., that then doesn't meet the unattainable expectations and is suddenly condemned for not doing so.  Many new technologies take some time to find their true niche.  (Does anyone remember "Java everywhere--Microsoft is toast!).  Didn't quite happen, but Java is still a significant technology all the same.  I'd say the same thing about 24/7 live/Internet reference.  It was touted as the be all and end all and all of our Reference sections were toast.  It didn't turn out to be "all", and there's room for both the new way and old way.  I'm seeing some info to indicate that it isn't all that successful and some libraries are dropping it because of lack of patron input.  But at least they tried.

Thanks
Norm Reeder
Torrance Public Library