[Web4lib] Re: Future of libraries

Jennifer Heise jenne.heise at gmail.com
Tue Jul 8 09:04:31 EDT 2008

> How do you fix it?  Actually not that hard!  Tech savvy people want to
> talk about the books they read online...they want to know what others
> are reading...they want to listen to podcasts of book groups....we just
> need to facilitate these things...we either purchase these services from
> vendors, or try and use open source tools (ex: content management tools)
>

>From my experience of the tech-savvy, one thing libraries are doing
that loses them the tech-savvy crowd is *closing early*. When faced
with a choice between a library that closes at 5 on Fridays, and
Saturdays, 9 or even earlier during the week, and may not even be open
on the weekends, the big chain bookstore or the Internet bookstore
sure looks like a better bet to my compatriots.   Many public
libraries cling to the 9 to 5 slot because that's when stay-at-home
parents and senior citizens come in-- but that would seem to serve
them ill when it comes to full-time working people who don't get home
until 7 or 8 at night!
-- Jenne Heise