[Web4lib] At Session on the Future of Libraries, a Sense of Urgency

B.G. Sloan bgsloan2 at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 3 13:30:26 EDT 2008

I forgot to mention one thing when I originally posted this...

The first sentence of the LJ report on this ALA panel discussion reads:

"It was billed as just a beginning of a look at the future of libraries, but panelists at an American Library Association (ALA) annual conference session in Anaheim, CA, Saturday sure had a lot to say about how libraries and librarians need to move forward now."

An e-mail announcement about the panel discussion also mentioned that the session would be used to "...introduce a new Program on America's Libraries in the 21st Century that will formalize the future of libraries as an activity of ALA."

That strikes me as a little odd. Haven't we been talking about the future of libraries for years? Haven't there been countless programs at past ALA conferences dealing with the future of libraries? Why would we just begin a discussion of libraries of the 21st century when we've already been doing that for a long time.

Just curious...

Bernie Sloan
Sora Associates