[Web4lib] Some thoughts on Blogs in our databases

Kathryn Silberger Kathryn.Silberger at marist.edu
Thu Jan 31 15:29:34 EST 2008

      Collection development is an important activity that makes a library
an information resource distinct from the Internet.  In this electronic age
it is getting harder to keep control of the access aspect of our
collections.

         I am now aware of two aggregators including blogs as part of their
   full text sources.  This makes me uncomfortable.  As journal publishers
   have pulled content from the aggregators because they have set up their
   own delivery platforms, the aggregators have had to add content to keep
   up the number of sources.  At first it seemed like they were picking up
   very specialized magazines.  At least those had some editorial process,
   although the relationship with advertisers was unclear.  And now they
   are adding blogs.

      I don’t recall receiving any announcement from these aggregators that
   they were adding blogs.  Perhaps they don’t think librarians will
   consider the blogs a qualitative addition.  The blogs just appeared.
   Many of the blogs added are newspaper affiliated.  It is writing that
   the newspaper is willing to have on their website, but not in their
   archival print product.  Some of the blogs I looked at have editorial
   staff, but frankly I’m not clear what the blog editorial staff does.  I
   think they might edit for readability;  I doubt they have fact-checkers.
   I don’t know if they have a policy about the number of sources, but a
   superficial reading suggests that the sources are from the media and the
   Internet anyway.

      In general, these blogs tend to be long on opinion and murky on
   facts.  Some provide biographical information about the author, often
   including irrelevant personal information such as hobbies and pets.
   Academic degrees are now always listed.  Some of the posts have bylines
   like “Merv”.

      The comment sections are not proofread for style, spelling ,
   punctuation or accuracy.  Rarely does someone sign a personal name.
   Rather we are reading the opinions of a bunch of avatars.

      Some of the bogs ask for Paypal donations.  Others, that are opened
   in a separate tab or window, pop-up advertisements or invitations to
   participate in surveys.

      What message are we giving to our students including this material?
   What happens as the aggregators include more blogs and select from among
   blogs of lesser quality?  As Librarians, is it time for us to tell the
   aggregators that we want the ability to customize our subscriptions by
   document format?  Any opinions?
Katy

Kathryn K. Silberger
Automation Resources Librarian