[Web4lib] Web technologies and public access

Pons, Lisa (ponslm) PONSLM at UCMAIL.UC.EDU
Thu Jan 31 14:21:38 EST 2008

I agree with John, at the very least you should present the content in
html and Flash.

Although the law may be murky, government entities in the US are
required to be accessible- including websites. I see you are in a
legislative library, so might want to check the law.

As a previous poster said, without knowing the content, it is difficult
to judge your question specifically. If not central to your mission, one
could argue that it need not be accessible, nor present the content
alternatively.

But I personally find it difficult to tell someone, by the design of my
page: "well, we think it looks pretty like this, and we don't care if
you can see it or not". We wouldn't put up barriers in the real world,
and I don't believe we should in the virtual world either.

Lisa Pons-Haitz
Webmaster
University Libraries
Cincinnati, Ohio