[Web4lib] Web technologies and public access

Cloutman, David DCloutman at co.marin.ca.us
Thu Jan 31 12:58:19 EST 2008

We had a situation where a patron couldn't use a catalog feature with
her WebTV box that was so old as to no longer be supported by MicroSoft.
The person in charge of our catalog decided to rollback a feature
because of the complaint, but had it been on my Web site I would have
gently told the user that they have an "antique browser" and that we can
support old clients beyond a certain point. For instance, I stopped
testing for Netscape 4.5.x on January 1, 2004, because I decided that it
was unreasonable not to move forward with supporting a browser that
hadn't been updated since 1998. I don't worry about IE 5 compatability
too much these days either.

That being said, I think it is an open question as to how accessible
Flash is to users with disabilities. I think you might run into text
that is not readable, depending on how you render it in your SWF. I
would encourage testing. Personally, Flash would not be my choice for a
library related web site, but I think AJAX also raises similar concerns,
and I'm very excited about what could be done with that technology to
facilitate better informaion retrieval. There is a lot of how and why
that needs to be asked before going with either of these technologies.
If Flash is your only realistic alternative to effectively implement
core functionality, then you have to go with it.

In the end, I think that if you can make your site usable to 98%-99% of
your users, you're doing pretty well. I think we would all like that
number to be 100%, but you're always going to have that one user out
there with really old hardware, and choosing to change your site to
suite their needs can be a difficult judgement call.

- David

---
David Cloutman <dcloutman at co.marin.ca.us>
Electronic Services Librarian