[Web4lib] Screen captures to flash

David Whelan DWhelan at lsuc.on.ca
Fri Jan 18 16:20:45 EST 2008

I've used Camstudio, which does a good job and is free.  You designate the
part of your desktop to be recorded and it places it into a video file
(.avi?).  Then it enables you to convert it over to Flash.  It's a bit
clunky, but the basics are easy enough to figure out.  I found the video
files easier to work with than video + audio; I couldn't get the latter's
file size down small enough, although I'm sure it could be done by someone
more knowledgeable and patient.

A product not on that list is Adobe's Captivate, which I've heard a lot of
good things about (http://www.adobe.com/products/captivate/).  This
article in the latest Law Library Journal compares  Captivate and
Camtasia, another product on the list you linked to ("Tools for Creating
Video Tutorials"
http://www.aallnet.org/products/pub_llj_v99n04/2007-53.pdf ).

Good luck!  David.

David P. Whelan
Manager, Legal Information
Great Library
Law Society of Upper Canada
130 Queen Street West
Toronto, Ontario  M5H 2N6
tel: 416.947.3438    fax:  416.869.0331

I am in the early stages of planning a new project.  What I want to do
is create some flash videos for short little tutorial segments (i.e. how
to take a picture from the Internet, paste it into Word and compress it
so our printers can handle it).  I did a Google search on software to
help me with this, and came across this list:

http://www.swftools.com/tools-category.php?cat=929

Does anybody have any experience (good or bad) with any of these or
other packages like this?

Thomas Edelblute
Public Access Systems Coordinator
Anaheim Public Library

THIS MESSAGE IS INTENDED ONLY FOR THE USE OF THE INDIVIDUAL OR ENTITY TO
WHICH IT IS ADDRESSED AND MAY CONTAIN INFORMATION THAT IS PRIVILEGED,
CONFIDENTIAL, AND EXEMPT FROM DISCLOSURE UNDER APPLICABLE LAWS. If the
reader of this message is not the intended recipient, or the employee or
agent responsible for delivering the message to the intended recipient,
you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution, forwarding,
or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have
by e-mail or telephone, and delete the original message immediately. Thank
you.