[Web4lib] Demise of IT? Google Empire

Melora Norman MNorman at unity.edu
Fri Jan 18 12:10:48 EST 2008

Melodie Frances wrote:

MOI: Having a life has nothing to do with it. Having actual human
interaction does. Ultimately I suppose the perk to farming everything
out is that the rest of us become obsolete and can therefore go and sit
in Hawaii all day - oops, someone still has to do the work (in fact
there's a good science fiction story in this but that's another story) -
but seriously, if one does not understand the value of being able to
talk to a human who understands the institutional history of a place
then this particular question won't even make sense.

~~~

One of my favorites is _Player Piano_ by Kurt Vonnegut:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Player_Piano

I think that the future as outlined in one of my favorite movies,
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Terminator , will require us to first
develop the artificial intelligence required for better spam filters.
However, it seems likely that implementation of
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_matrix would require, um, magic.

Hm, perhaps preserving humanity would make an interesting conference
program?

Melora Ranney Norman