Re[2]: [Web4lib] Google is “white bread for the mind"

Dan Lester dan at riverofdata.com
Wed Jan 16 13:20:16 EST 2008

This piece and appended comments confirm what I was suspicious of:

She's pushing her own books, at least indirectly.  Her (undoubtedly
self-written, though that's not a criticism necessarily) entry in the
evil Wikipedia at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tara_Brabazon has
reference to herself as a "digital dissenter".  Nevertheless, she
teaches courses via distance education (my heavens, maybe using the
internet and its tools??), and a course on "Learning and Writing
through Popular Culture".  I would hope that the internet and its good
and bad points is a significant part of that course.

Despite the above, her books (eight so far) are prominently mentioned
in the Wikipedia piece.  I wonder if we can assume it is all accurate?
I will give her credit for NOT linking the titles directly to Amazon
or B&N.  In addition to a book forthcoming, she cites her latest:
The University of Google: education in the (post) information age.

The piece in the Times sounds like a bit of marketing for it.

One other bit of info that I noted is that "She is also Director of the
Popular Culture Collective, a not for profit community organization that
aims to improve the quality of popular culture.

Somehow that goal seems, to me at least, to be an oxymoron.  Of course
if banned punk and rap and romance novels and porn and People Magazine
and only allowed high quality authors to be published and music to be
played.....

dan

--
The road goes on forever and the party never ends. REK, Jr.
Dan Lester, Boise, ID