[Web4lib] Image protection

Thomas Dowling tdowling at ohiolink.edu
Wed Jan 16 09:51:00 EST 2008

Robert L. Balliot wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> Other than the perceived notion that images are protected
> by copyright and therefore off limits...

("Perceived" notion?)

The plain truth is that if something is online and people want it,
people can get it.  I can't imagine any technical solution more
effective than a simple copyright statement in the text of the page.
The right-click script is not only easily defeated but is something a
lot of browsers can be configured never to honor.  Visible watermarks
just deface your image and invisible watermarks only allow you to pay
for a search to see if the images have shown up on other web sites.

--
Thomas Dowling
tdowling at ohiolink.edu