[Web4lib] Image protection

Stevens, Julieanne H. jhsteven at law.stetson.edu
Wed Jan 16 09:46:05 EST 2008

I used Dig marc  for a while, back when I did more original graphics for
a side web page business. I was able to locate exactly one "theft" of an
image and decided it probably wasn't worth the expense.
http://www.digimarc.com/tech/dwm.asp
Probably the only way to protect an image is not to publish it to the
web... even pictures from Worth1000, with their name scrawled across the
bottom, can be altered/photoshopped to eliminate the'branding' with a
little time and care. My final solution was to charge clients more for
original graphics and write them off, so to speak.

Juju

Julieanne Hartman Stevens
Reference and  Electronic Resources Librarian
Stetson University College of Law
Law Library
1401 61st Street South
Gulfport, Florida 33707
727-562-7304
Internal extension: 7304
jhsteven at law.stetson.edu
"Most people don't realize how important librarians are. I ran across a
book recently which suggested that the peace and prosperity of a culture
was solely related to how many librarians it contained. Possibly a
slight overstatement. But a culture that doesn't value its librarians
doesn't value ideas and without ideas, well, where are we?" Neil Gaiman