[Web4lib] Facebook for Library Outreach : Don't Be Left In The Dust...

Dan Lester dan at riverofdata.com
Tue Jan 15 15:14:05 EST 2008

> Or perhaps this means that we need to do a better job in finding out
> what patrons really want before developing services based on what we
> think they need.

And that once again goes back to the old question:  buy the books they
want, or the books they SHOULD read.  Romances? Shakespeare? Other?

It is a bit different with new services.  Sometimes people want and
need things they just didn't know they wanted and/or needed.  I can
immediately think of microwaves, DVRs, blenders, George Foreman
grills, fast food drive thru restaurants, TV dinners, iPods (and
competitors), and so forth.  I know my wife, who is a pretty techie
librarian, never had any idea she wanted an iPod.  I bought her one
for Christmas a year ago (a shuffle) and she never goes walking
without it.  I'm the same way.

So, like with collection development, we need to balance between what
people say they need/want, and what we think they need/want.

Right now our university library is trying out MP3 players with
audiobooks on them.  It would probably be more successful if they
books would play on the ubiquitous iPods instead of these that have to
be checked out, but you never know.  I'm dubious about the success of
the test, but very glad we're doing it.

You never make progress unless you're willing to "fail" sometimes.

dan

--
The road goes on forever and the party never ends. REK, Jr.
Dan Lester, Boise, ID